How to Add WordPress Plugin to Directory in Windows
Hello Friends ! Long time no Post .So here i wanted to post this post about about “How Do we Add WordPress Plugin to Resposity or Directory Using Windows Interface” . Also How’s the new design treating you.I hope you liked it..Now lets Move on.
So first take a look at requirements .eg what we need to post a plugin to wordpress Directory.
Requirements for Posting Plugin to Worpress Respository(Directory) :
- A plugin Created By you (LOL)
- Need a Softwate called Tortoise SVN.
I guess thats all You need.
First things First .Please Learn how to create plugin in wordpress Codex to continue reading this one.Oh! i should have put that line on top.Anyways let move on to Next Steps.
Submit Plugin Request At WordPress Plugin Directory : –
- Go To wordpress Plugin Directory and login with your wordpress.org account.
- Navigate to developer Center and click on add new plugin.
- Submit the form which includes plugin name , detail and link to the zip containing the actual plugin.
- Then click on the send .
- you plugin will reviewed by the wordpress developers and new repository will be created for you.it may take up to 24 hours.
- Mean while you can download the tortoise SVN program for windows.
Publishing Your New WordPress Plugin
- Create a New folder in you PC say “your-plugin-name”.
- open the folder and right click and then click on SVN checkout .
- A new window will open and you paste your plugin respository url there and click OK.
- You will be asked for your username and password .fill them and click ok.
- After that you will see some folders being created.you move to Folder called trunk.
- Put all your plugin files in the trunk folder and right click and Select SVN COMMIT.
- You will be asked to enter a message;Enter Something that describe things. Eg : Adding Plugin “plugin Name Version 1.0”
- Double check that the select all option is ticked, and then click OK
- you will be asked for your wordpress credential again.
- Then After that Right click on the trunk folder again, and select TortoiseSVN > Branch / Tag
- For the To URL field, ensure it has your plugin SVN URL, with /tags/1.0 added to the end. For example, http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/your-plugin-name/tags/1.0
- Check to HEAD revision.
- Message = Tagging your plugin Version 1.0
- Click OK
Wow Your New Plugin has Been Published.
Now Lets See How can We update the Plugin.
Updating the Plugin in wordpress plugin directory : –
If you have added new functionality to your plugin or improvements have been made and you want to update it to the repository .Then do follow the following Steps:
- Copy the content of truck folder.Make Changes to them.
- And Most important keep in mind to update your Plugin version in PHP file and Some necessary changes in the Readme.txt file.
- Following changes are Required For updation in readme doc
- Requires at least
- Tested up to
- Then After that Right click on trunk folder and Slelect SVN Commit.
- Add your Message as = Adding PluginName Version 2.0 or whatever version
- Tick Show unversioned files
- Select / deselect all = ticked
- Click OK
This will update the trunk folder in repository and your plugin users will see a message to update their plugin in dashboard.
I would Also Recommend to tag Each version so That incase you want to rollback.See how to do that as well
- Right click on the trunk folder again
- SELECT – TortoiseSVN > Branch / Tag
- To URL = tags/x.y(x and y are version count ,say x is for major release ,y for minor)
- SELECT option HEAD revision in the repository
- Give a nice message say : tagging version x.y for plugin name
- Click OK
That’s it you have sucessfully tagged plugin verison as well.So now you know how you add wordpress plugin from windows interface.
I hope you will find this one useful.